Monday, March 14, 2016

Go Fund Yourself


I usually write a recap of my weekend or week on Mondays, but I've been sick all week and I'm really not feeling it. Instead, I'm going to talk about Go Fund Me.

For those who don't know, Go Fund Me is a website that will post your request for charity, you share the story with family and friends, and Go Fund Me will accept donations on your behalf. For this service, Go Fund Me charges 7.9% of the total funds collected, plus an additional 30 cents per donation.

I can see how this would be useful in life. I knew a couple who tragically died in a car accident last year, leaving behind three children. A Go Fund Me account was established, and I donated. I could also see its use if a house was demolished in a fire or hurricane, some kind of natural disaster that was unavoidable.

But I have a problem with people asking for money to help finance their own life choices. The girl who wants to go to Brazil for her 30th birthday. The guy who wants to get his fiancee the engagement ring of her dreams. The couple who wants to adopt a baby from China.

(note that I have nothing against adopting a baby from China, but if you can't afford it on your own, perhaps you should make another plan)

I don't know, I just feel like this is a cop out. If you want something, work for it. I am discouraged by this mentality people have these days that people will give them whatever they want if they just ask for it. I don't understand why people can't just work for what they want, and be happy with what they have, instead of asking for more.




I wanted a nice engagement ring, but it was more important to find a nice guy. 

I wanted to a adopt a baby, and it was free to adopt a child who needed a family from my my own county (actually, I get a check every month-- email me if you have adoption in your heart and I can give you details). 

 The Agent told me when we got married that he wanted 6 kids. We only have two because kids are expensive. I would not ask anyone to financially support my decision to have more children (plus, they're exhausting. I couldn't handle a third child).




No, I didn't go to Brazil for my 30th birthday. I stayed home and had a house party with my friends. And it was awesome, and mostly free.




Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!