Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Lesson Learned

Today was my first day in my new position, as manager.

It went.... ok.

Actually, for the most part, it was pretty good. I felt good about my ability to do everything, and I felt good about my interactions with my colleagues. We had a managers meeting at one point, and we didn't all agree, but I felt confident that I was able to share my opinion.

After the meeting, my boss called me into the office. She said I came across as harsh, and that the managers need to support each other, and I needed to "learn my place."

Excuse me? Learn my place? LEARN MY PLACE? Am I a 1950's housewife?

I guess my opinion didn't really matter, after all.

But I'm not about to rock the boat on my very first day. So I apologized, said it wasn't my intention, and it wouldn't happen again. She said she believed in giving honest feedback from the very beginning, and I said I appreciated that.

Not the greatest first day, but lesson learned.  Keep dissenting opinions to myself.



Here's hoping that tomorrow will be better.




Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a new job! Boo for a learning curve. Maybe it's not so much dissenting opinions aren't allowed, but perhaps they expect you to sit back, observe, and learn the culture a bit more before just jumping right in?

    It's nice she gave you feedback and that you will always know where you stand with her. She gave you some important info about how to operate with her. I hope in time she wants more contribution from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!