Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The worse interview ever... and how you can learn from me

Last week, I applied for a new job. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision-- my boss implied that I had it in the bag, so I applied. 

My interview was on Friday, and it was made abundantly clear that I probably would NOT be getting the job. I didn't like how the interview went at all. I had gone in feeling prepared, but I wasn't prepared for THESE questions. Learn from me, my friends! Hopefully, you'll be better prepared.




In a nutshell, this is what the hiring manager wanted: 
1. Keep it relative to the job you're applying for. 
2. Keep it current. 
3. Be very specific in the examples you give. 

There were only four questions: 

1. Tell me about a time when you had to coach someone and it didn't go well. Tell me what you did to turn it around. 

I really bombed out on this one. I am not a manager, so I don't coach people. I tried to keep my answer positive, using examples of how I was a mentor  to my team. I said, "I don't want to say I coached them, because that's a negative term," and I was immediately interrupted. 

"It's a negative question," the hiring manager answered. "I want specific examples, with names." 

Ugh. It's like that? So, instead of saying how wonderful I am, you just want me to tell you how other people suck? 

So, I did. I sold my soul to the devil and threw one of my coworkers under the bus. the hiring manager seemed happy afterwards, but I was miserable. 

That kind of set the tone for the rest of the interview. 

2. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with another coworker, and what did you do to resolve it. 

This was more of the same. I don't have conflicts with people, at least not work related. I told a story about a conflict two coworkers were having with other (not with me), and one of the coworkers came to me to try to get resolution.

"Who was it? What was the conflict?" the hiring manager asked. 

I told her. More bus driving on my part. 

3. Tell me what you would do to encourage and inspire your team when they're faced with a challenge. 

This question at least I could get excited about, since I could put a positive spin on it. I told the story of a coworker that needed to give a presentation, and was terribly nervous about speaking in front of others. I encouraged her and told her I would be standing right there with her, and if it got too difficult for her, she could just give me a look and I would take over. I was proud of the job she had done, and I had no problem mentioning her name to the hiring manager. 

4. Customer Service is very important in our business. Tell us about your plans to increase customer service. 

This is another question I did ok on. I knew that customer service was the hiring manager's hot button, so I was prepared. But since I had already learned that she wanted me to name names, I talked about other coworkers who were poor performers, and how I wanted to whip them into shape. Not the direction I wanted to go at all.


Then there were a few standard questions: How are you at computer programs? If you're given a deadline, will you meet the deadline on time? Where did you get your degree? Normal stuff like that. Those went ok. 

I won't know for another week if I actually got the job, but I'm not going to hold my breath. At least I applied and I was willing to put myself out there! Hopefully I'll come up with better stories next time! 





Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!