Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The truth comes out

OK, so I did it. I told Bug about Santa.

BK was taking a nap, and The Agent was engrossed in the Raider game, so I used the opportunity to have a heart to heart with Bug. "Hey, Bug... you know how you've been asking about Santa?"

She perked up. "Yeah?" She's been waiting for this conversation.

I took a deep breath. "Well, there WAS a real Santa. He lived years and years and years ago, in a different country called Turkey."

Bug giggled at this. "Turkey? I bet he loved Thanksgiving!"

Ummm, yeah.

"Anyway, this man would give gifts to the children every year, anonymously. That means he didn't tell anyone about it. So, when he died, everyone wanted to keep that magic alive. So yes, I might put the presents under the tree and fill your stockings, and that's because I'm keeping the magic of St. Nicholas alive. And now, you can help, too. We can make a list of little things we can do for other people, people we don't even know, to make their lives a little nicer. It's called a random act of kindness."

Bug seemed completely ok with this. "And I promise not to tell  BK," she said.

"That's a good idea," I answered. "And you probably shouldn't talk about this to your friends at school, either. This is a conversation that everyone needs to have with their mom or dad, so let them have it. And the magic of Christmas is real, it's all real. But now you get to be part of the magic, too"





Bug agreed. "But what nice things should we do?" she asked.

"Oh, that's the fun part! We can make a whole list! We can put flowers on people's windshields in a parking lot, or pay for the person behind us at McDonalds, or tape a nice note on a mirror in the  bathroom at the mall, all kinds of stuff."

Bug was really excited about this. Stay tuned for our Christmas list!









Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that seems easy! We don't do Santa at all for this reason here but what a great way to explain it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? I wasn't signed in to google (new browser), and my whole comment didn't take. The way you broke it to your kiddo was really good. I had to tell mine so they wouldn't get made fun of. Told them about the Easter bunny at the same time. Poor kids! Thanks for stopping by my blog a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!