Monday, September 8, 2014

Weekend recap


I am tired.

I had the day off work on Friday to go to another funeral (my stepmother's grandfather). He was 93 years old.

That Agent was one of the pallbearers. I didn't get a picture (because it's just weird to me to take a photo at a funeral, but that didn't stop a lot of other people from doing it), but The Agent looked fantastic! He was definitely the hottest pallbearer I've ever seen!

The funeral was much smaller than my grandfather's last month. My dad had said there wouldn't be a lot of people there, because "when you're 93, a lot of the people you knew have already died." But that didn't really make a lot of sense. And then when I asked if they wanted to me to write the obituary, my stepmother said no, "because there are some people who we don't want to know about the funeral... at least not until after the fact."

OK. Whatever. Rock on with your family drama.

So, on the day of the funeral, there weren't many people there at all. Maybe 30. And me, a step great grandchild, was somehow close enough of a family member to make it to the front row. That didn't make sense.

"Alice," I whispered to my stepmother during the mass. "Doesn't your mom have like  five brothers and sisters? Where are all the other children and grandchildren?"

"We didn't tell them," Alice whispered back. "Nobody had called or visited him in the last 12 years, so we didn't think they needed to know now that he's dead."

Umm, ok. I'm not sure I agree with this, but it's not my family. What are your thoughts?



Anyway, that took up the whole day, what with the mass and the burial and the reception afterwards. We drove home, picked up the kids, grabbed some take out for dinner, and I fell asleep on the couch while the kids watched Wreck It Ralph.

On Saturday, The Agent worked in the morning and I decided the kids rooms needed to be cleaned. Bug and BK did a pretty good job of organizing their rooms, while I tackled their puzzles and Legos. That took pretty much all morning, and I really didn't want to do anything afterwards! So the grocery shopping and the Costco run waited until Sunday (Am I the only one who seems to go to Costco EVERY weekend?). It's a rare occasion that I can go a whole day without putting a bra on!



I thought Sunday was going to be super busy. I had scheduled a playdate for 11 am, and my BFF was coming over for dinner at night. The Agent went fishing again, so I was on my own with the two kids, and we had to squeeze in shopping for the week and getting the house clean. My day started at 5:30 am, just so I could have  an hour of quiet time with my coffee before the craziness began! But then my playdate  got canceled, so that freed up a lot of time for us. The kids and I went out to breakfast and then did our shopping and we were home before noon. That still gave us 5 hours to clean the house!

The kids still wanted to go have a picnic in the park (that's what we were going to do on our play date), so I told them that if they helped me clean the house, we would go. Do you think those two naughty children helped me? No, they hid in their rooms! Silly kids! So, we didn't go to the park, but they were mostly good.

BFF came over for dinner, so we could chat and catch up, and she could tell me about her recent vacation to Iceland, and she could share her photos from the vacation. All 422 of them! She expected the kids to be interested in all of them, and of course they weren't, but I liked them. There was beautiful scenery! Still, not a place I ever need to see in my life-- no offense to my thousands if Icelandic readers out there! BFF said she would go back!



The Agent came back from his fishing trip super grumpy, and with no fish! And he had been up since 3 am, so he was ready to call it a night. I think I was in bed by like 9:30. We are party animals, let me tell you!

I pretty standard weekend, so I'm not sure why I'm so tired this morning! What did you do? Hope is was something fun and exciting!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!