Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bad Day

Oh, bad day. Super bad day.



My boss called me in to his office yesterday and said that my services are no longer required in my current position. He thanked me for the work I've done, and told me about the new job I would be doing.

As I sat sobbing in his office.

"I know I'm behind, but I'm doing the best I can," I cried. I'm not fired. But on the hierarchy scale, I just went down a level.

"No one said you're doing a bad job," my boss said patiently. "You're still considered a leader. You're still on track for management. But your workload is too high, and you don't want to work overtime. I sit right next to you, and I know you're not happy.  The new job is not as stressful, and we need a strong player there. You'll be successful, and that's something that we need."

On a deeper level, I know all of this is true. I wasn't happy. The work is too hard. I'm not willing to work overtime. But still. I wanted the exit to be on my terms.

"Have people been complaining about me? Have they said I haven't been doing a good job?"

My boss shook his head. "I have never received a single complaint from you," he said.

I cried harder. "So why do I have to leave?"



"Please don't think of this as a demotion. You're not getting demoted. You're not losing any money, you're not losing any rank. You are such an asset to the company. But I have to think of the whole office.This is a good thing. This is going to help everyone."

I told him I needed a minute. I went to the bathroom and cried for ten minutes.

And then left work and cried to The Agent for another fifteen.

And then I had four jello shots.

Still a bad day.









Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

1 comment:

  1. I totally get it. It feels like a step back no matter what, but I'm with you - not a fan of overtime and all that jazz.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!